AAERT Communications Committee
The AAERT Communications Committee is seeking active volunteers.
Goal and Purpose. The Committee’s goals are to report on events and happenings within the Association as well as within the industry by research, social media posts, two-way communication by means of interviews, and newsletter articles. The purpose of the Communications Committee is to alert members to upcoming events; to inform members as to insights, techniques, procedures, technical knowledge, software and hardware to strengthen member knowledge and expertise; to build excitement in the AAERT community; and to promote AAERT as the premier association for digital reporting and transcribing.
The main responsibilities of the Committee are (a) to oversee the AAERT website, (b) compose the newsletter, and (c) manage AAERT's social media sites. The Committee monitors the website’s effectiveness and suggests ways to improve it; the Committee suggests subjects/titles/topics and manages the writing of some articles and other content; the Committee promotes the activities and the professionalism of AAERT through social media.
Projects and Tasks. Committee projects and tasks may include:
• Maintain branding for association including the website, social media, and the newsletter.
• Monitor website appearance, content, statistics and quality
• Collaborate with management team on website modifications and content.
• Explore ways to make effective use of social media
• Contribute content to social media sites
• Develop a list of subjects/topics/titles for articles in newsletter and determine a process for keeping lists updated and
• Explore audio and video as supplementary means of communication about AAERT
• Develop a process where volunteers can produce useful articles including topic selection, reporter assignment, editorial
review, copyediting, and approval
• Determine types of articles and article templates
• Archive for the newsletter
Involvement and Commitment. The Committee will consist of 5-7 members from across the industry. A one-year commitment of 4-6 hours per month is required. While most communication will occur through email, online meetings will be scheduled as projects are assigned.
Qualifications. Committee members are required to hold an AAERT membership. Journalism, writing, or editing experience will be a plus. All Committee members will be encouraged to attend the Annual AAERT Conference.
Any further questions can be directed to Chairperson, Gail Malm Armstrong at email@example.com.